See a gallery of 12 quotes on wonder.
- Borrowing the lens of a poet's sensibility, we see the world in a richer way — more familiar than we thought, and stranger than we knew, a world laced with wonder. Sometimes we need to be taught how and where to seek wonder, but it's always there, waiting, full of mystery and magic.
— Diane Ackerman in Deep Play
- I think we all have a core that's ecstatic, that knows and that looks up to wonder. We all know that there are marvelous moments of eternity that just happen. We know them.
— Coleman Barks
- If you become Christ's you will stumble upon wonder upon wonder and every one of them true.
— Saint Brendan of Birr quoted in The Open Gate by David Adam
- A mature sense of wonder does not need the constant titillation of the sensational to keep it alive. It is most often called forth by a confrontation with the mysterious depth of meaning at the heart of the familiar and the quotidian.
— Sam Keen in Apology for Wonder
- At the back of our brains, so to speak, there was a forgotten blaze or burst of astonishment at our own existence. The object of the artistic and spirited life was to dig for this submerged sunrise of wonder.
— G. K. Chesterton in Chaucer
- It is confirmation to me that beyond the material world of cause and effect, there is a dimension of spirit waiting for our recognition. We see such a small piece of all the wonder surrounding us.
— Paula D'Arcy in Gift of the Red Bird
- To pray is to take notice of the wonder, to regain a sense of the mystery that animates all beings, the divine margin in all attainments.
— Abraham Joshua Heschel quoted in Finding Your Own Spiritual Path by Peg Thompson
- Wonder encourages us to stand humbly before the unfathomable mysteries of human life, trusting that, in them, we encounter God.
— Melanie Svoboda in Traits of a Healthy Spirituality
- But if we mean to choose the world, we must see God in the people who come under our care. That is, we must see them as at bottom no different from ourselves. No matter our busyness, no matter our own or others' flaws, we need at some point to see every human being as a marvel, a berry held up in sunlight, worthy of wonder.
— Philip Simmons in Learning to Fall
- Contemplate the wonders of creation, the Divine dimension of their being, not as a dim configuration that is presented to you from a distance, but as the reality in which you live.
— Rabbi Abraham Isaac Kook quoted in The Gift of Kabbalah by Tamar Frankiel
- It takes grace in our time to keep our minds open to wonder, to be ready for the tug from God, the push from the Spirit, and the revelation of deep things from the hearts of ordinary people. It takes grace, but it is a great gift.
— Lewis B. Smedes in How Can It Be All Right When Everything Is All Wrong?
- Open my eyes,
to the marvels that surround me.
Show me the wonder
of each breath I take,
of my every
— Rebbe Nachman of Breslov in The Gentle Weapon
- I join my hands in thanks
for the many wonders of life;
for having twenty-four brand-new hours before me.
— Thich Nhat Hanh in Call Me by My True Names
More Quotes about Wonder